Many of us ask this every day, don’t we?
There is this essential device that every kitchen should have……it is called a crockpot. It doesn’t care if you are vegan, vegetarian or a meat lover. It doesn’t care if you make bread, soup, butters, meats, sauces or desserts in it. It is the most versatile device you can have in your kitchen 🙂
Here is an easy one for those “what’s for dinner” days. You can do this all from scratch or use a few canned items to make it simple. You can tweak it and add to your taste. Don’t be afraid to experiment a bit with the flavors
Mom’s Chicken Cacciatore
- 1 pound (about 4) skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Mushrooms (a cup or two)*
- Bell pepper (a cup or two)*
- Onion (a cup or two)*
- Garlic (2 or 3 cloves)*
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- Can of diced tomatoes**
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (put on top when serving)
- Chop everything and put it all in the crockpot.
- Add all the other ingredients, except the cheese.
- *Add as much or as little of these as you like.
- **This can be substituted with a favorite marinara sauce.
- The chicken can be chopped, sliced or left as whole. It can be breaded and pre-cooked and just the sauce cooked in the crockpot. There is no right or wrong way to do this dish.
- For the vegans and vegetarians you can use eggplant or a chicken substitute.
- Serve over noodles, rice or potatoes
HAVE FUN IN YOUR KITCHEN!